Friday, September 12, 2008

Traveling With Cats -- planes, trains and automobiles

Day 2 of the Blog. So, I had a kitten that is doing well at the shows. With my regular cats, I go to local shows and, on occassion, I'll drive to some shows that are 6 to 8 hours away. But to really get Avalon to some of the big shows, now I have to fly. Yikes -- flying with a cat. But it can be done.

On the positive side, I always got to my ultimate destination in time for the cat show. On the negative side, I didn't always arrive in my destination city by plane, and certainly not "on schedule."

Case in point. I was flying from California to Tucson, Arizona on Friday night. Apparently, Arizona was being pounded by rain, causing flights in and out of Arizona to be delayed. That backed the planes up in Las Vegas (where I was flying through) as well. I'm waiting -- my flight is 30 minutes late, then 45 minutes late, then an hour late. I'm still not worried because I've got a 2 hour layover in Las Vegas. They post another delay -- and it's 2 hours. Drat! So I'd better ask if my connecting flight is also delayed. The very stressed out gate agent barks that my connecting flight has been cancelled! Yikes!!! But not to worry, they'd be happy to fly me to Las Vegas, let me wait around that airport for 6-8 hours in hopes that I could get on the 8 or 10 am flight to Tucson. No-- I'll miss my cat show. I asked if I could still get to Phoenix-- maybe. So I'm waiting, pretty soon they are ready to board the flight to Phoenix and I'm on my way. In Phoenix, I arrive with the cat, but no luggage. It's 11 pm, and I have a 2 hour drive to Tucson, but I need the kitty essentials (litter box, some food, etc). The very polite, and not too stressed out, car rental agent gives me directions to the all night WalMart. I shop, I get back in my car. It's midnight, it stopped raining, and I'm feeling hopeful that I'll be in Tucson by 2 am. I'm heading out into the desert on I-10 humming to the radio when.... up ahead I see tail lights, lots of them. I slow, I stop, everyone stops........... I'm ok, but a big rig wreck has completely closed the highway. I turn the car off, I sigh, I wait, and wait, and wait....... Well, I arrived in Tucson at 5 am. I see my friends actually arriving to set up for the show, which in 4 hours. I check in, I nap -- lightly -- and hope I don't oversleep.

So I was up all night, I spent lots of extra money for that rental car, and cat supplies at WalMart .... but, I made it to the show on time!!!!!!

More later...
Kathryn

No comments: